As you all probably know, I’ve written a word game for the iPhone called Word Up!
Tonight, I started getting an error while trying to run my app from Xcode on my device (provisioned for development). The error was:
Your mobile device has encountered an unexpected error (0xE8000001)
during the install phase: Copying file.
Try disconnecting and powering off the device; then power the device
on and reconnect it.
I tried resetting the device a number of times and rebooting my MBP as well to no avail. It was beginning to look like I was going to have to do the dreaded restore and then lose all the cool jailbreak stuff that I’ve become so accustomed to. And then that made me remember that because my device is jailbroken, I can ssh to it and poke around. I wondered if a previous failed copy left some garbage on the device that was causing subsequent copies to fail.
iPhone:/ root# find . -name 'Word Up*' ./private/var/mobile/Media/PublicStaging/Word Up!.app iPhone:/ root# cd /var/mobile/Media/PublicStaging/ iPhone:/var/mobile/Media/PublicStaging root# rm -rf Word\ Up\!.app/
Bingo. That fixed it. So if you hit this problem and you happen to have access to the filesystem of the device, give it a shot.