A few weeks ago, my wife lost her iPhone 4 and we bought another one. When I set up the phone in iTunes, I did a restore of the backup of her old phone and everything worked great. Except that I could not get her phone to show up in Find my iPhone. I tried numerous times to delete and add the MobileMe account and I could not get the phone to show up. Not in me.com; not in the Find my iPhone app on my iPhone; not even in the Find my iPhone app on her own phone!
There was another weird symptom. When I tried to switch off Find my iPhone it instantly switched back on. This is kind of hard to explain, so here’s a video that shows the problem.
Deleting the MobileMe account and adding it back did not fix it. FMiP still switched itself back on.
Restoring to a previous backup did not fix it.
Restoring as new worked but it nuked all of my wife’s data, so I would then have to do a lot of manual restoring.
- Restore iPhone to latest backup with all of the data. All data now there, but FMiP switches itself back on again. (Tried deleting and recreating MobileMe account. No dice.)
- Go to me.com and remove the iPhone.
- On the iPhone, delete the MobileMe account
- Add the MobileMe account back again, but set Find my iPhone to off initially.
- Go back into the MobileMe account and turn FMiP on. Answer yes to two prompts – one that syncing will be disabled and one that location will be tracked.
- Refresh me.com, iPhone shows up! On the iPhone, I can now turn FMiP on and off at will!