PageRank 3

For some time, I had built up to a PageRank of 6, according to http://www.pagerank.net/pagerank-checker/.

Then, I had someone deface my site with spam links hidden inside HTML comments and Google picked up on that and flatlisted me and my PageRank went to 0. I of course fixed the defacement and contacted Google to let them know, but my PageRank stayed at 0 for several months.

I just noticed that it has edged up to 3, so that’s good.

Hey buddy, can you spare a link?

Upgraded to WordPress 2.3

I just upgraded to WordPress 2.3. It actually was a bit of a pain in the butt.

I initially attempted to upgrade with:

svn switch http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/branches/2.3

This resulted in:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: update_object_term_cache()
in /home/theurban/public_html/wp-includes/post.php on line 1772

I attempted to upgrade the database as well as resolve a few conflicts and delete files and check them out again with svn. None of that worked. I eventually decided to switch from using the 2.3 branch to using the 2.3 tag:

svn switch http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/2.3

This got rid of the PHP error, but now the problem was that I had SQL errors about missing database tables. Apparently, the previous database upgrade failed but apparently still thought it was successful and updated db_version in the wp_options table to the latest version (6124), because trying to upgrade the database again resulted in it claiming that the database was already upgraded. Nice error checking.

I ended up peeking in the database upgrade code in wp-admin/includes/upgrade.php and finding a value that I could manually set db_version to in order to convince the upgrade code to do its thing again:

mysql> select * from wp_options where option_name = 'db_version';
+-----------+---------+-------------+--------------+----------+
| option_id | blog_id | option_name | option_value | autoload |
+-----------+---------+-------------+--------------+----------+
|       131 |       0 | db_version  | 6124         | yes      |
+-----------+---------+-------------+--------------+----------+
mysql> update wp_options set option_value = 5538 where
option_name = 'db_version';

This seemed to do the trick and get rid of the SQL errors.

Between this and getting hacked for the second time, I’m again starting to have doubts about WordPress. I just don’t know if there’s any alternative that I’d like better.