I wrote a previous post on how I got Dropbox working on my DreamHost VPS. It was tricky because the DreamHost VPS had glibc 2.3 and the Dropbox binary needs glibc 2.4.
Those instructions were somewhat complex and I’ve been messing around a bit with Buildout lately, so I thought it would be fun to develop a buildout recipe that automates it. So here you go:
This buildout downloads and compiles glibc 2.4 and installs it in a sandbox with the Dropbox software. It also sets up Supervisor and uses it to manage the Dropbox daemon.
Try it and let me know if it works for you. Of course if you find problems or have enhancements, you can fork it and send me pull requests.
As promised and after a nudge from Bruce, here’s how I was able to get the Dropbox Linux CLI software running on a DreamHost VPS server. This isn’t super hard but it wasn’t a trivial install, because the Dropbox software is closed-source and it contains binaries compiled against glibc 2.4, whereas my VPS server is using glibc 2.3.
Wondering how I can install the Dropbox Linux CLI (which requires glibc 2.4) on my DreamHost VPS (which has glibc 2.3)…? I already tried copying a glibc 2.9 from an Ubuntu system and also built glibc 2.4 from scratch on the VPS and tried to use it with
LD_PRELOAD, to no avail.
Some of you noticed that my site was down (500 internal server error) Friday and some of Saturday. I’m not exactly clear on how it happened, but PHP became broken on my VPS. I think the culprit was that the file
/usr/lib/libcurl.so.3, which PHP was dynamically linking to, somehow seemed to disappear. It’s not clear to me whether I somehow did this accidentally (though I have not done much lately on the server) or if it happened through other means. Anyway, once DreamHost and I determined what was actually going on, DreamHost support reset the VPS and things came back to life.
Somehow this seemed to do something to another domain I have that uses Phusion Passenger for Python WSGI for Django — basically the Passenger stuff seemed to break and it was not launching Phusion Passenger WSGI’s
request_handler.py. I had a few exchanges with DreamHost on this and then this morning suddenly it was working again. Not sure if DreamHost did something to fix it or if it was just the planets suddenly aligning.